Esophageal Cancer- Everyone should monitor their physical well-being and seek help if they feel the body is exhibiting symptoms indicating deteriorating health. People exhibiting symptoms such as; difficulty swallowing food, pain in the chest, and the treatment being proven ineffective, must seek medical help from an oncologist in Lahore. The specialist will perform tests to diagnose the cause and provide guidance regarding effective treatment options. The treatment can help enhance life and provide relief from the symptoms causing pain and anxiety.
What is esophageal cancer?
The condition refers to the development of a tumor in the esophagus. The tube starts from the mouth and ends in the stomach; the tumor causes the patient to suffer from chest pain, difficulty swallowing the food, and heartburn. Individuals above sixty are at a higher risk of suffering from esophageal cancer. The patient requires immediate medical attention to avoid complications and save their life. The treatment available is effective in treating cancer in its initial stages.
What are the known symptoms of esophageal cancer?
The symptoms of esophageal cancer are:
- The patient suffers from constant chest pain that causes discomfort and difficulty breathing.
- The patient can notice an irrational change in their body weight. Patients lose weight without engaging in physical activities or controlling their diet.
- The patient struggles to swallow the food and suffers from indigestion and heartburn most of the time.
- The patient can notice the change in their voice and suffers from persistent coughing.
What causes correlate with the development of esophageal cancer?
The causes of esophageal cancer include:
- The mutation in the DNA causes the cells to replicate and cause the development of tumors in the esophagus.
- Individuals suffering from GERD should take proper treatment to avoid complications. Patients with GERD are at a higher risk of developing a tumor in the esophagus.
- The patient undergoing radiation therapy are at a higher risk of suffering from complications, including esophageal cancer.
- Individuals in a habit of smoking and consuming alcohol daily are prone to suffer from different types of cancer.
- Individuals with higher BMI are at risk of suffering from esophageal cancer.
What measures are known to prevent the occurrence of the deadly disease?
The preventive measures include:
- People must understand the consequences of consuming alcohol and smoking and eradicate them from the complications to avoid the adverse impact on physical and psychological health.
- People should keep a healthy lifestyle and maintain their body weight by exercising and consuming organic and taking a vitamin-enriched diet to avoid complications.
- Individuals with GERD must consult a gastroenterologist and take treatment to control the symptoms. It will help minimize the chances of tumor development in the esophagus.
What are the complications that correlate with the condition?
The complications that correlate with esophageal cancer are:
- The patient is at a higher risk of suffering from Tracheoesophageal fistulas.
- The patient might suffer from internal bleeding. It can lead to multiple physical complications.
- The patient is at a higher risk of suffering from Aspiration pneumonia, anemia, and weight loss.
What are the tests that assist in diagnosing an individual with esophageal cancer?
The tests that help diagnose a patient with esophageal cancer are:
- The endoscopy allows for determining the location and size of the tumor,
- The imaging testing helps confirm the presence of a tumor. It helps evaluate the stage and severity of the condition.
- A biopsy helps examine the tumor to evaluate the extent of the disease.
What medications, procedures, and therapies are proven effective in treating esophageal cancer?
The medication, procedures, and therapies are known to be effective in treating esophageal cancer are:
- Chemotherapy to fight against the cancerous cells to avoid the spread to other parts of the body.
- Esophagectomy is a surgical procedure that helps remove the tumor.
- Electrocoagulation uses electric current to fight against cancerous cells.
- Photodynamic therapy utilizes laser light to destroy the tumor.
People diagnosed with esophageal cancer must consult an oncologist in Rawalpindi for guidance regarding the latest and most effective treatment options.