Can Couples Counseling Help Overcome Infidelity Trauma?
Infidelity refers to becoming unfaithful by engaging in sexual activities with people, even after being committed to being married. It can affect the relationship and lead to mental health problems. The victim may feel insufficient et or struggle with anxiety problems. Therefore, it is necessary to understand the cause of the behavior and act rationally to enhance their overall health and life. Individuals undergoing infidelity trauma should find couples counseling therapists through Fitcy Health.
Common Causes of Infidelity
- Excessive Usage of social media: People who engage in conversations with strangers through social media may struggle to give time to their partner. The loss of interest and emotional disconnection affects the relationship and may lead to cheating on their partner, affecting the marriage/relationship.
- Struggle to Resolve Problems: The person with personal, marital, and professional problems may struggle to cope with the stress. It increases the risk of infidelity temporary relief.
- Addiction: Individuals exhibiting signs of alcohol or porn addiction are more likely to cheat on their partners due to poor decision-making. The use of alcohol and illicit drugs clouds the individual ability to make rational choices. Additionally, the person who watches porn daily has unrealistic expectations from their partner, which can affect their sex life. It is essential to notice the signs of addiction in their partner and talk to them to seek professional help to avoid complications.
- Unhealthy Communication with the Partner: Emotional disconnection can affect the individual’s behavior towards their partner. It affects the couple’s intimate relationship and may lead to distant behavior. A couple who struggles to communicate effectively about their sexual desires is at a higher risk of cheating. The person may suffer from guilt, which can cause distress and cause hindrance in communicating with their life partner. Therefore, people thinking of cheating with their partner due to a lack of sexual desire towards them must seek professional help and come clean with the other person to prevent complications, which can lead to divorce or separation.
- Long Distant Relationships: The timings and lack of communication in long distant relationships increase the risk of infertility. Therefore, a couple with a long-distance relationship must set a schedule and talk about problems and progress to have an emotional connection and attraction toward their partner.
Infidelity Trauma and Couples Counseling
Individuals who have seen their partners cheat on them are more likely to suffer from post-traumatic stress disorder. The common symptoms include flashbacks, racing heartbeat, and nightmares. The person struggles to let go of their past and work things out to improve mental health and focus on the positive aspects of life.
Couples who feel they can make things work must go for couples counseling. The aim of couples therapy is to help the person:
- Understand the cause of the behavior.
- Address the Existing Problems in the relationship.
- Try to ignite sexual intimacy
- Take steps to build trust and forget the past
- Move on and Focus on the positive aspects of life.
Partners in UAE struggling with their relationship should find couples counseling therapists through Fitcy health.